In a healthful, balanced diet, a person desires approximately 10,500kJ (2,500pound ) per day to keep his weight. For a girl, this figure is about 8,400kJ (2,000pound ) per day.
These values may vary based on metabolism age and amounts of physical activity.
What are calories?
Calories are a measure of how much beverage or energy contains. The Quantity depends on:
- Your age — for example, growing children and teens will need additional energy
- your lifestyle — for example, how busy you’re
- your dimensions — your own height and weight may impact how fast you utilize energy
Other things may influence how much energy you burn off. As an instance:
- Some hormones (chemicals Made by the body) — like thyroid hormones
- several medicines — such as glucocorticoids, a Sort of steroid used to treat inflammation
- being unwell
Calories and kilocalories
The expression calorie is used as shorthand for kilocalorie. You’ll come across this.
Keeping a Wholesome weight
To keep a wholesome weight, you want to balance the quantity of calories that you consume together with the number through beverage and food.
You have to work with more energy than you eat by eating a balanced diet with fewer calories, to shed weight in a wholesome manner.
You want to consume more calories to gain weight. To learn more, see How do I get weight safely? .